Sunday, December 7, 2008

A lot to be thankful for!

Thanksgiving 2008 will go down as a memorable one. This year Matt and I went to Michigan to have Thanksgiving with my side of the family. The past seven weeks had been long and emotionally draining on our family as my mom endured daily radiation and two rounds of chemo for cancer. She had nothing but side effect after side effect taking its toll on her body. Six out of seven weekends were spend in the hospital, as well as the 12 days leading up to Thanksgiving. Through all the pain, heartache, and sometimes tears we were very thankful this Thanksgiving! My mom was able to sell her house and close a week before all this treatment started and has been living with my grandparents. The finical burden and upkeep of a house were not an issue. She was able to take 10 weeks of medical leave and continue to be paid through sick days and the sick bank. Fortunately, she has great insurance and the nightmare of medical bills won't total nearly what they would. Her 13 year old dog, Gabby, who is a little bit of work in her old age has been living with friends or family. Seth, who lives in Orlando, was able to fly home for Thanksgiving. We were thankful that mom was down to the last three days of radiation, then the healing process could begin, both physically and emotionally.

Grandma's cute centerpiece that was sent to my grandparents for their 59th wedding anniversary!

2 comments:

The Greenes said...

Hey Cheeries! I love you guys, keep me posted with Bab's progress, recovery etc. Please let me know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help.

the clemensuz said...

Hey guys, I've been praying for your mom when I think of her, and will continue to do so! Keep us updated.